Prof. Boris Parashkevov and Assoc. Prof. Emilia Basheva
In 1950 the Department became part of the newly established Faculty of Philology, which was split into a Faculty of Slavic Philology and Faculty of Western Philology in 1965. In 1979 the latter was renamed to Faculty of Classical and Modern Languages, and the Department of German Studies is an integral part of it
The Department of German Philology was renamed in 1999 to Department of German and Scandinavian Studies. It united the Department of German Philology and the Department of Scandinavian Studies, which had been established in 1992. The Department of German and Scandinavian Studies was headed by Prof. Bogdan Mirchev, PhD (1999-2003), Prof. Maja Razbojnikova Frateva, PhD (2003-2006), Prof. Antonia Boutchoukovska, PhD (2006-2007), Prof. Emilia Dencheva, Dr. Habil. (2007-2015), and since 2015 it has been led by Assoc. Prof. Reneta Kileva, PhD.
Since the academic year 2013-2014, the official name of the German Studies Section has been German Studies with a Scandinavian Elective Module.